Go Bananas on Banana Day!
Believe it or not, today is Banana Day. Yes, it's one of these weird and wonderful days of the year that people love to celebrate, or at least laugh about and go 'huh, really?'. But, saying that, I think that the humble banana really does deserve to be celebrated.
Firstly, bananas are full of nutritional goodness:
1. They are a rich source of carbohydrates, giving you lots of energy.
2. They are full of soluble fibre which helps to keep you regular.
3. They are a good source of potassium which is good for blood pressure.
4. They are high in vitamin B6 which helps to regulate blood glucose levels and assists in times of stress.
5. They contain vitamin C which helps your immune system.
Secondly, they're just so convenient. For a quick snack any time of the day, or as part of your packed lunch, they're just perfect. They don't require any extra packaging or a fork or spoon. AND you can write messages on them, how cool is that?!
Thirdly, bananas are perfect for cooking with to help create a delicious treat. Here are my top 5.
1. Banana split - the ultimate kids party treat.
2. Banana bread - perfect for using up old over-ripe bananas that would otherwise go in the bin.
3. Banoffee pie - if you've got a sweet tooth then this one's just for you.
4. Dipped banana lollies - pop them onto lolly sticks and dip them into chocolate and sprinkles.
5. Banana oat energy bites - pretend to be healthy!
Or why not just slice it over something such as your cereal, ice cream or pancakes as a delicious healthy topping.
And while we're discussing bananas, they also make lovely keyrings or earrings... Ok, so not strictly proper bananas, but fun all the same! They're available to buy from Jade of St. Mango, who makes them all by hand out of Fimo!
Above are only a few of the reasons that we should be thankful for bananas - pop over to my Pinterest Board Go Bananas for many more suggestions and ideas on how to use this wonderful fruit.
Now, I'm feeling a bit peckish... what will I have?!